Western Digital is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. One of the data storage industry’s pioneers and longtime leaders, Western Digital provides cost-effective products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. Businesses and consumers use reliable Western Digital hard drives in desktop computers and home entertainment applications to keep their data and digital entertainment collections close at hand and secure from loss.
Do you desire to be a member of an organization dedicated to leading technology advancements? Are you a high energy individual enthusiastic about problem solving? Our team is seeking a forward-thinking Thermo-Mechanical Design Engineer to support goals of Thermo-Mechanical Department in developing Traditional PMR systems. In this role you will report to the Director – Thermo-Mechanical Design and have responsibility for, but are not limited to, the following: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Proven success in Physics, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or related field. Experience in the disk drives industry beneficial, but not required
- Supports goals of Thermo-Mechanical Department in developing Traditional PMR systems, including Dual Independent Heaters and Two-Dimensional Magnetic Recording (TDMR,) that meet or exceed the performance requirements specified by product roadmap.
- Required to be able to build 3-D geometries via Solid Works or other software and to design, modify, and execute Thermo-Mechanical models with ANSYS. Experience modeling Thin Film Heads, MEMS, or other small dimension devices is highly desired.
- Experience with ANSYS Mechanical APDL and ability to automate design tasks using programming languages such as C++, Visual Basic, MATLAB, or equivalent is highly desired.
- Skillful at planning work execution, and understanding project requirements and risks. Must have high energy level and be an enthusiastic contributor to finding solutions to issues
- Interfaces with ABS design group to resolve design deficiencies
- Interface with wafer process and integration teams to build DOE wafers
- Interfaces with drive teams to support integration of new head technology into function drive operation features
- Dedication to supporting and working for the success of the team is a must. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are requirements.
BS + 8 or more yrs. related experience, or MS + 6 or more yrs. related experience, or PhD + 4 or more yrs. related experience.